A civil engineering degree is a significant step towards a rewarding career in the construction industry in Singapore and anywhere else in the world. We work with industrial partners to prepare a rigorous and coherent curriculum that aims to develop the practical and intellectual competencies of students within this field of engineering.
Civil Engineering: Course Specification & Synopsis
We cover a total of five modules that explore a range of technical skills as well as a rich understanding of civil engineering. They are:
- Advanced Analysis and Design Methods
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydraulics and Drainage
- Structures II
- Individual Honours Project
Must of your learning activity will be hands-on, with access to our Civil Engineering Laboratory. For more details, view our laboratory pictures.
You'll also be provided with the latest software such as PLAXIS
, meaning you'll be well equipped to make an impact in civil engineering and construction industry.
Students who graduate with our civil engineering degree in Singapore will find themselves industry-ready, with skills and competencies that are transferrable to international workplace environments.
- Successful completion of Higher Diploma in Civil Engineering or Professional Diploma in Civil Engineering or Diploma in Construction Engineering and Management or equivalent; or
- Relevant Pearson BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Civil Engineering or equivalent; or
- Relevant Polytechnic Diploma (e.g. Civil Engineering with Business, etc.) or equivalent; or
- Matured students: At least 30 years old with at least 8 years relevant working experiences (Civil Engineering & Engineering industry) and have obtained other Diploma qualification will be considered on a case to case basis.
- GCE C6 or IELTS 6.0 or an equivalent qualification; OR
- Having completed a diploma/degree in the medium of English will suffice the English Language proficiency requirement.
- All applications are subjected to the approval of Birmingham City University.
- Application Fees (Non-refundable): $267.50
- Material Fees: S$428.00 (non-refundable)
- FULL TIME: S$20,865
- PART TIME: S$17,227 ( 3 Instalments Plan ) OR $18,618 ( 15 Instalments Plan )
- Fee Protection Scheme (FPS): Charges borne by GSTM
find out more
Administrative Fee [Applicable to International Students]
- Medical Insurance: $107
- International Student Administrative Fees: $214
- Administrative Fees for Student Pass Application: $85.60
- ICA Application Processing Fees: $30
- ICA Issuance Student Pass Application Fees: $60
NOTE: All fees are inclusive of GST
** INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS:
- When applying through our international representatives (e.g. Recruitment Agents), students should NOT make ANY COURSE FEES, ADMIN FEES, APPLICATIONS FEES, or otherwise to the AGENTS.
- ALL FEES should be paid directly to the GSTM’s bank account.
- For more information, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Licensing of Builders
- Students need to have at least 5 years (in aggregate) of practical experience in the execution of civil engineering construction projects (whether in Singapore or elsewhere) after attaining the above mentioned degree programme in order to apply to BCA as a General Builder GB Class 1 Technical Controller.
Joint Board of Moderators (JBM)
- Partially accredited by JBM which include the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Institute of Highway Engineers, Chartered Institution of Highway and Transportation and Permanent Way Institution under license from the Engineering Council as partially satifying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Fully satisfy the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng). See www.jbm.org.uk for further information. Graduates must fullfil the requirement set by JBM to apply for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) professional status after the education assessment and necessary practice in industry.
- Partially satisfy educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). This is a programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng. See www.jbm.org.uk for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng.
Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Recognised by Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- The academic qualification meets the educational requirements for Associate Membership (AMICE) or membership (MICE) of ICE
- The qualifications do not automatically meet the educational requirements to register as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech) with the Engineering Council. If you'd eventually like to progress to CEng, IEng or EngTech, you'll need to have your qualification assesed and relevant working experiences that set by ICE.
- Please see below for Institution of Civil Engineers note of GSTM specifically at https://www.ice.org.uk/careers-and-training/graduate-civil-engineers/course-search-tool for details.
Duration and Class Mode
- Full Time: 12 months (weekday)
- Part Time: 15 months (evening weekday / weekend)
- Weekday - 10.30am to 12.30pm OR 10.30am to 1:30pm OR 1.30am to 3.30pm OR 1.30pm to 4.30pm
- Weekday - 7.00 pm to 10.00 pm OR
- Weekend - 10.00 am to 1.00 pm / 2.00 pm to 5.00pm/ 6.00pm to 9.00pm
For the safety of our students, we will progressively increase the number of students allowed back to school for in-house person learning (classes/ lectures/labs) with no more than 50 persons including the staffs, lecturers and tutors per day. Classes and lectures with more than 50 persons will continue to be held online.
For in-person examinations and assessments, only classrooms will be used with no more than 50 persons (including invigilators/ staff). All necessary safe management measurement, including at least 1 metre distancing between individuals ,mask-on at all time. Where practicable, we may consider online assessments and examination. Speak to us for more details. Thanks!
The assessment method of the Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in civil engineering is set by the Birmingham City University, the institution offering the degree qualification in Singapore.
Find out more.
Graduates of this BEng (Hons) Top Up Degree will enable them able to develop his/her career in private or public sector organisations and work in the construction industry in a range of roles, which include Building Control Surveyor, Consulting Civil Engineer, Contracting Civil Engineer, Site Engineer and Structural Engineer.
Leave us a message for more information on our civil engineering degree qualifications available in Singapore.